I'm not disagreeing with anything here, but this issue is too
complicated to Blaine on technology or speech output. We should take
advantage of emerging technologies, and if that means that spelling
suffers then we should look at alternatives to teach good spelling. I'm
primarily a speech user myself, but I take pride in my grammar and my
spelling, so it can be done. It's the responsibility of the educational
system, parents, blindness organizations, blind individuals themselves
and so on to ensure blind children and children in general get the
education they need to be productive members in our society.

We shouldn't ban iPhones because speech output makes for poor spellers.
We should assume the iPhone is out there and take advantage of it and
fill in the educational gaps elsewhere. I also wonder what educational
advantages are deemed from speech output and technologies like the
iphone. The ability to understand where things are on the iPhone
spatially and interact with them directly, the ability to handle,
process and organize all of the data we have available to us now, the
access to news and current events and so on may all more then compensate
with the fact that people may need to work a bit harder to be good
spellers. Note that I'm not a sociologist, but I hear all of this
anecdotal data about how technology is making us dumber without hearing
much on the areas where it may be making us smarter but just in a
different way.

My wife is a teacher at a local community college. She teaches writing,
and she frequently talks about how texting, social media, the internet
is making her job tougher. She has to convince her students that the
spelling and grammar they'd use in a text message isn't appropriate in
formal writing. It also makes plagiarism that much easier, although it
also makes it easier to catch plagiarist as well. This has nothing to do
with blind students, although I will admit that primarily using speech
may add some challenges to things like teaching good spelling and
punctuation.

Note that she never argues against technology, but rather that it's part
of our lives now with all of it's strengths and weaknesses. The second
day of her class she talks about how to use spell checkers and grammar
checkers. Like everything else, it's a tool, and it's up to us whether
we let it be a crutch or not. Also, like any other tool, it's only as
good as the person weidling it.

Christopher (CJ)
chalt...@gmail.com