by Roberto Garza

Sometimes when you press the home button on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch
there can be a delay or even take a couple of tries before it responds. In
this tutorial you will see how to fix this.

Step 1
 Open a stock application like the Calendar, Weather, or Youtube
Step 2
 With one of these apps opened, hold down the power button until the 'slide
to power off' control appears.
Step 3
 As soon as you see it, press the home button and keep it pressed until the
red slider disappears and the app is forced quit to the home menu.
Step 4
 That's it! Now you should have a much more responsive home button.

http://snapguide.com/guides/calibrate-your-home-button/

I do not subscribe to this site, so not sure of their information. I have
not tried this re-calibration, but intend to on my wife's phone, as the home
button seems to have issues.

Eric