Voice Over is not affected by jailbreaking your phone. I think your friend is misinformed. It's true that some jailbreak tweaks or apps might not work with Voice Over, but the same is true for Apple approved app store apps.

Good luck.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running. - Groucho Marx