In a butshell a repository is a website where the different apps and tweaks are
stored.
        When you add a repository to cydia you are giving it permission to
access those apps and download them.
        There are somewhere around 5 that are pre installed when you jailbreak
and these are the only ones that have truely been vouched for and tested for
security.
        It is possible to add a repository with harmful content in it so make
sure you are comfortable with anything you add.
        i hope this helps make sense of it.
        have a good day!

Mike