Well, duly impressed.  I had the Otterbox Impact arrive today.  I also dug
out the speeddots cover which I'd got disillusioned with.  Put it on and off
so often trying to get it on straight, it had long since lost adhesion.
Labels work well as they're a plastic faced paper backing and you get to
line it up before committing the adhesive.  Still, I extracted the 3GS out
the Defender it lived in, fiddled with this Speed Dots cover until it was
finally in the right place, all be it peeling anywhere I touched it.  Then I
tried a bit of ingenuity in how I put the phone to the new case....    and
got the whole thing in with one try and without lifting any of the loose
corners.  The Impact case is very neat, it's the padded shoulders I think
are the most effective, but it holds the darned dots thing down so well,
I'll get to use it properly now.

So well done for recommending the Impact and will now join the endorsement
for that model.

Thanks, RobH, R!