Can you explain what is meant by "an exchange account"? Several people
have mentioned this, and I don't know what it means and how it is used.

Thanks. Keith

________________________________

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:33 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: IMAP and POP3 questiion

Hi Reggie,

It is probably best that if you have setup a mail account as POP3 on
your iPhone to delete it first.

Then, to set up your gmail account as IMAP all you have to do on your
iPhone is to go into the mail app, tap on "create account" and when it
asks you what type of account you want to create choose "gmail" from the
list. It will ask you for your full name, your email address, your
password and you can also type in a description, by default it already
says "My gmail account". The iPhone knows all the rest and if you do
this your gmail accout will be set up as an IMAP account.

As for the computer, I can't give you any tips since I don't know what
you are using, e.g. PC or Mac, an email client like Outlook or Windows
Mail or do you use the gmail web interface. It's important, though, that
you don't use POP3 at all on any device because it's a pretty old
protocol and all it can do is download the mail from the server to
whichever device/computer/email client you use. The only thing you can
do is to tell it to "Leave mail on the server" in which case it
downloads a copy, but also leaves the mail on the server so you could
log into gmail and manage it there.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are very detailed instructions
on how to set up gmail with POP3, IMAP, the iPhone etc. on the website.
Log into gmail and go to "Help". There are 2 links:

*       Gmail on your mobile device <javascript:showChildren(2451730);>
*       Accessing Gmail on 3rd party clients/devices (IMAP, POP)
<javascript:showChildren(1669040);>

The above should work as direct links, you can press enter on them and
see if they take you to the correct article. I am curious what you
didn't like about using gmail as an exchange account. Personally I think
Exchange is the way to go, IMAP orks well, but what issues exactly did
you have?

Good luck,

Sieghard