Hello David. This sounds like you are describing the voice over problem where
it crashes temporarily and it takes several programs with it. I have usually
seen this happen if voiceover is speaking quite a bit of text. I do not know if
the cause is voiceover or something else which controls voiceover deep down in
the guts of iOS. However what I have noticed is that when this happens, several
programs which were loaded in memory are no longer there. You might still see
them in the app switcher, but they are not actually running. When this happens,
all you can do is wait for voice over to come back. Usually it does after about
a minute or a minute and a half. There is nothing you can do for now other than
restarting the programs which crashed.

Good luck.

--
Raul A. Gallegos