The only way to delete multiple messages is to double tap the edit button in
the upper right corner, then double tap the messages you want to delete, one at
a time, then double tap the trash button in the lower right. On the 5S, after
about 100 messages are selected, the phone gets very sluggish, so I trash
those, then start again.
Note that once they are in the trash folder, you can go in there, double tap
the edit button and then double tap the delete all button in the lower right,
but that is just to clear out what you have removed from the inbox. I wish they
would add a delete all option in the inbox.
HTH,
Richard

Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.

Jane Wagner, from In Search of Intelligent Life in the Universe

Sent from my iPhone 5S