Charles,

If all goes as planned, congrats on getting your new iPhone 6 on Monday. I
got my new Verizon iPhone 6 yesterday. Like you I upgraded from an iPhone 5
but I also changed service providers from AT&T to Verizon. I'll outline the
steps I followed which will be a little different since I changed carriers
and also got my iPhone 5 unlocked from AT&T in order to prepare it for
selling.

Here are the steps I followed:

1.      I did an encrypted backup with iTunes after making sure my iTunes
for Windows version 11.4.0.18 was compatible with iOS 8.x and the iPhone 6.
Like you, I still run Windows XP.
2.      As others have said, I prefer using encrypted iTunes backups since
all passwords and apps will be restored to the new device. I don't think
apps are restored from iCloud backups and you must go fetch the latest
versions of apps if restoring through iCloud.
3.      I'll state the obvious that you make sure you have your password
used with the encrypted backup handy as you'll have to have it in order to
restore. I keep mine in a passwords app on both my computer and iPhone.
4.      I restored my iPhone 5 backup to the iPhone 5 in order to unlock
that AT&T device. This is required to unlock an AT&T device after you've
initiated the unlock process by completing the form on the AT&T unlock
portal site.
5.      I connected my new iPhone 6 to the computer with the lightning USB
cable in order to automatically power it up. I did this based on Sieghard's
recommendation in the last couple of days and to also ensure that the phone
had plenty of power.
6.      When the phone powered up (I have enough vision to tell the screen
is on), I triple clicked the home button and VoiceOver turned on. I don't
remember how long it took the iPhone 6 to power up after plugging n the
cable but it was within a few seconds. Sieghard's recommendation of waiting
45 seconds is probably good for handling any delays that might occur in the
powering up process.
7.      Here is where I varied a bit from the norm. Instead of going through
the initial phone activation screens to do things like language selection,
iCloud sign in, Apple ID confirmation, fingerprint setup, etc., I launched
iTunes and began the restore from an encrypted backup process.
8.      The restore went fine after I gave it the password and all my apps
and settings were restored.
9.      I noticed that when placing focus on my iPhone in iTunes that my
phone number said something like n/a so I knew I had more steps to do on the
iPhone 6. I then went through the steps on the phone to select language,
give my Apple ID, set up the fingerprint, etc. These steps were easy and
VoiceOver was there every step of the way. It took me a few tries to get the
fingerprint recognized but I got there eventually.
10.     After I verified that my phone number had successfully ported over
from AT&T by calling my new iPhone 6, I went into settings on my iPhone 5
and reset it to erase everything.

Good luck with setting up your new iPhone 6 and I hope the process goes
smoothly. Enjoy your new phone because the iPhone 6 really is a super fine
device.

Alan Lemly