Hi,

My credit card was the one I use for iTunes, but I had to verify it to use it
for ApplePay. I had the options to verify via email, text message, or calling.
I've done this twice now; once I used email, and once a text message. So maybe
it depends which card you're adding how the particular card company wants to
handle verification.

Best,
Anna