I'm not pushing home theater receivers or knocking Sonos, and I listen carefully to everything Sieghard says, especially when it comes to audio, but I have one tiny point of clarification. Home theater receivers do come with the ability to tap into subscription music services and do support DLNA, so you can access your music from a network attached storage device. The Yamaha RX-V773 receiver I own has these features, and it's obviously not unique.

We built our house a few years ago, and we had it wired for a 7.2 surround sound system in the family room, so we don't have big bulky speakers or wires anywhere. I've looked into Sonos recently, and I may still go that option in the future for some situations, but for my living room, I don't think it beats just dropping a network capable home theater receiver into my AV cabinet.

On 03/14/2015 10:57 AM, Kramlinger, Keith G., M.D. wrote:
I agree with everything Sieghard said.

I bought 4 Play3’s in December, setting them up as paired units in 2
rooms. With Spotify, and my iTunes Match, I haven’t had such wonderful
and accessible music listening in decades. And their phone support is
excellent, if you need it. Keith

*From:*viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] *On
Behalf Of *Sieghard Weitzel
*Sent:* Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:50 AM
*To:* viphone@googlegroups.com
*Subject:* Just use Sonos, was: Stereo Receivers That Can Be Operated
With An App?

Hi Arnold,

My recommendation is Sonos. You said “stereo receiver” in your subject
so I assume you are looking for a receiver (amplifier with integrated
tuner) for music playback. If you already own a set of good quality
speakers you want to use, then get a Sonos Connect Amp. You get a very
nice sounding amplifier with 110 Watts of Class D amplification for
$600. It is small, fully connected with access to dozens of paid and
free internet music services and the app is fully and fantastically
accessible. On top of that you will have the freedom to expand your
Sonos system later with any of their other players to bring music to
other rooms, you can add a Sonos wireless Sub or, if you already have a
traditional, powered Sub, you can connect it to your Connect Amp.

If you want a full 5.1 surround system, it would set you back about
$1,800 with a Sonos Playbar, Sonos Sub and two Play 1 players for the
rear channel.

In my opinionthe flexibility, connectivity and accessibility of Sonos
beats anything else out there. Even if you consider an inexpensive $300
or $400 receiver paired with an inexpensive $200 or $300 set of
bookshelf speakers, you now have spend $500 to $700. For $600 you can
buy two Sonos Play 3 players and set them up as a stereo pair which will
sound every bit as good as what you get with a low-end traditional
setup. The traditional setup means a bulky receiver, speakers which by
themselves are about the size or larger than the Sonos Play 3 and, of
course, wires which have to go from the receiver to the speakers. This
setup gives you access to an FM/AM tuner and you have not yet added any
other source of music. For this you either need to spend more money for
a CD player or connect your computer or iPhone to the receiver. Chances
are you may find a receiver which has Airplay capabilities so you could
play music to the receiver wirelessly via your iPhone or iTunes, if not
you will need to connect the computer or iPhone with a cable. Playing
music from Tune In or a subscription based music service similarly would
require you to use your iPhone with Airplay or your iPhone or computer
wired into the receiver. With Sonos access to Tune In and just about
every subscription based music service you can think of is integrated
into the fully accessible Sonos app. Your own music can easily be
accessed by ripping all your CD’s (if you haven’t done so already) and
give Sonos access to your music folder on the computer or, even better,
on a network attached hard drive which means your computer doesn’t even
have to be on. This means additional components like CD Players also
become a thing of the past.

Good luck,

Sieghard