From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Christopher Chaltain
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:31 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Just use Sonos, was: Stereo Receivers That Can Be Operated With An
App?

Agreed, I'd never go bac to a entertainment center with speakers in the
corners and wires everywhere. I don't think Arnold ever said whether he
was talking about a prewired house or not, and I just thought that was
one scenario where a home theater receiver might fit the bill.

I got my son a bluetooth speaker for his smart phone over Christmas, and
I decided they were so convenient, I'm planning on getting myself one
this summer. I'm planning on checking with you before I buy anything to
see what the latest and greatest options are.

> HiChristopher,
>
> I also don't disagree with what you say although there is a big difference
> between wiring a room or house when its being built and trying to retrofit an
> existing house with in-wall wiring and speakers. When I bought my house in
> 1996 it was a spec home, but I bought it early on so the inside walls had
> only been framed and not drywalled. I also went ahead at that point and
> installed speaker wires for built-in ceiling and in-wall speakers since I had
> an Onkyo receiver even back then which was capable of handling 2 independent
> zones. I had the main zone hooked into speakers in my living room with rear
> speakers built into the ceiling above the couch and the second zone was
> hooked up to a Niles 4-port speaker switch which provided signal to my
> bedroom, bathroom, office and kitchen. Of course those rooms wee not able to
> play independent sources although I did have in-line volume controls in each
> room so I could turn the volume all the way down if I didn't want sound in a
> particular room. A
nyhow, the point is that I do come from a more traditional background and while
a number of receivers nowadays are capable of being hooked up to a router and
handling certain online subscriptions, I highly doubt any one of them handles
as many as Sonos and in as accessible a format. A solution with such a receiver
also does not give  you the flexibility and scalability that Sonos offers when
it comes to expanding into different rooms without any fuss and the variety of
Sonos gear nowadays makes the system just ever so appealing. I am now just
waiting for their long-anticipated headset which I really hope is coming this
year or if not this year then next year. Every time I talk to their support and
mention it they tell me that they get a ton of requests for a headset and I'm
quite sure it's going to become reality in the near future. Then I can enjoy
all my Sonos system has to offer with perfect privacy and without disturbing my
wife or anybody else. I know that I could get a really go
od wireless headset and hook it into one of the RCA or optical digital outputs
of one of my Sonos players, but I don't want to spend the money for a really
good wireless headset knowing Sonos will most likely have one which will be
fully integrated into their system in the near future.

> Also, Sonos has one other advantage which most receivers don't have and that
> is the fact that you get regular software updates which improve the system
> and which ensure that new music services are available. Deezer lossless, for
> example, is only available via Sonos at least at this point. I had a free 1
> year Deezer subscription which came with the purchase of my Playbar and just
> last week I received an offer from Deezer to upgrade to their Deezer Elite
> lossless service for a ridiculous $36.50 for an entire year. Normally that
> service is $20 a months and it is an awesome offer and the sound quality is
> amazing.
>

> Regards,
> Sieghard

Christopher (CJ)