It is random.  It could be files or folders.

From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Donna
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2015 6:48 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: A bug in 8.0 is back in 8.2, Can anyone verify?

The bug in question, is the problem with not being able to move single apps or
folders? I'm using an iPhone 6 and haven't had any problems moving apps just
above the dock. Didn't have this problem on my iPhone 5 either. Haven't had to
move a folder so that is why I'm curious.

Donna

Hi Chris,

Richard is correct, that bug never was fixed and if it worked for you in 8.1
then that is because you were always able to move certain apps in the bottom
row but not all apps. I also don’t know why certain apps could be moved at
times and others couldn’t, but that how it was for me.