Hi all.
Yes, I have also noticed this with the Apex. However, it also seems to
be occuring with the Refreshabraille and other displays from time to
time, though not as frequently as it is happening with HW's stuff. I
suspect it's a conflict between the braille Appple driver and several
displays, for whatever reason, it is impacting HW more than the
others.
As for the question about the VarioUltra, it is a fairly stable
connection relative to the other displays, but still locks up from
time to time. However, the battery life, at least on the 20-cell
model, is not what you get out of most displays. For example, with a
day worth of average use by me, I get 2 days of use out of the
Refreshabraille and about 3/4 of a day out of the VarioUltra. IN the
middle, unless you're talking about prices, the u2 Mini I was able to
get through a full day with some battery life. I have not played with
the Focus enough to really comment on battery life. However, what I
can say about the Focus is that, the 14 in particular, is very
fragile. Of all the displays and people I've worked with, it has gone
back for repair more than any other.
The eight-dot full cell at the beginning and end of the display is not
a display specific thing, it's the way VoiceOver has been instructed
to do things in iOS 8 and later. I guess the folks at Apple put this
"feature" in there to address the issue people were complaining about
where they could not track their braille typing before it was fed
through the translator. However, even when you set both input and
output of braille to uncontracted, the stupid full cell is still
there.
This is a huge concern for people like myself who rely on others to
type with bluetooth keyboards in very loud situations to communicate
with people around me. The full cell even appears when a bluetooth
keyboard user is typing. It really slows down the communication
process.

Scott