Hi Ben,

        By all means, disagree, I may be entirely wrong, I just don't think I
am. You write:
Not security theater at all. If you are seriously insinuating that a casual
Google search will allow your run of the mill mugger to bypass your passcode
and or touch ID in a way that allows them to access your data then I'd be very
interested in hearing some specifics.

        I could be saying that a casual Google search would allow the run of
the mill mugger to bypass a passcode, it would be true for some versions of
iOS, but I'm not saying that. Obviously, the original poster's issue was not a
security hole at all, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been exactly
such holes in the past and I would be absolutely stunned if there weren't any
in future. I'm not terribly concerned about the run of the mill mugger because
he's already been given multiple headaches to the point where he may well not
want the phone. First, in Canada, the United States, and the UK at least, he's
going to have to get the phone out of the country given that all three
countries block by IMEI. Secondly, even if he does get the phone to somewhere
it can be used, given that a great deal of the phone's value is in the apple
systems, anyone activating it is going to have a hard time if I've reported it
as lost. Now I'm sure that these things can be overcome somehow, but is it
worth it for under $500? That is, let's say that there was a way through which
the IMEI could be changed, and then a way in which Apple could be fooled, or a
server set up, so that the phone could act exactly like a good,
non-blacklisted, iPhone. Would that be worth doing, even on a large scale, to
get phones that would have to go for under $500? I can buy a known-good iPhone
for less than that, why would I buy a sketchy one for the same price or higher?
Honestly, I don't see the point of stealing an iPhone for sale. I may well be
wrong, but I think the mugger who wants to sell the phone would be making a bad
bet without any passcode being involved. He would only know about the passcode
after the theft, so he'd know he was making a bad bet before he grabbed my
phone.
        As for the three letter agencies, they wouldn't want the phone, but
rather the information on it. I'm sure they could bypass a passcode with great
ease, even assuming they couldn't get what they wanted from the wire. Also, I'm
 of no importance to them, and if I were, I wouldn't use my phone for anything
at all, it would probably be best not to have a phone.  So a passcode won't
protect me from them, either.
        The only thing a passcode could plausibly be for in actual security,
rather than security theatre,  would be to protect against the middle range,
the jealous wife, the angry business partner, the irritated teenager... The
lower end of the range has already been protected against, while the higher end
of the range is too difficult to protect against if you're going to use mobile
phones at all. Here is where I say that a passcode is just security theatre.
Even assuming that one has the said wife/business partner, and even assuming
that the user has updated to the latest version of iOS, and even assuming that
the Google search doesn't turn up anything about that version, there are many
companies which claim to have software that would spy on your iPhone. They
would undoubtedly come up on Google. If you are close enough, physically, to
the person you're spying on so as to have unrestricted physical access to the
phone, you can very probably manage to get it in a state where it's unlocked,
know the person well enough to guess the passcode, fool the person into
compromising the phone, install a sniffer on the network... Basically, if my
problem is that I'm involved with people who are physically close to me and who
I don't trust or don't trust me, I have bigger problems than my phone, I need
to sort things out elsewhere. As I said to Sieghard, even security theatre may
be of use, consider the two-year old who just loves to press numbers or the
cleaner who wants to know what emails you're getting. What I'm saying is that
it shouldn't be relied on as real security and, given the inconvenience of
entering the code, I don't use it. Other people may find it useful to have it,
but I would put some thought, in anyone's position, in relying on it.
You write:
As a side note, I'd wager that my iPhone is more secure than your average
computer due to the amount of control that Apple has at a very low level.

        I wouldn't take the other side of that wager. In fact, I would join you
in it if you don't mind. You are almost certainly correct, the iPhone is more
secure than the average computer. That is setting the bar very low, though,
most computers are hopelessly insecure. Many people simply have a Windows
password protecting their machines. To say that the iPhone is more secure than
most computers is like saying that a heart attack is less painful than the
death of a thousand cuts. Great as far as it goes but it doesn't go too far. I
should also say that the iPhone is not at all secure against Apple themselves.
The amount of data they can collect makes me shudder. If I weren't blind, I
would never use such a thing.
You write:
Additionally, with all due respect, whilst we could debate the definition of
secure data, I'd wager that you might not be aware of quite how much data iOS
stores without making it overly clear to you.

        You're probably right, there is probably data that is being saved that
I don't know about, though I do try to keep up. I have, not uncharitably, been
described as a privacy nut. My concerns, such as they are, are not of the thief
getting that data, as I said, theft of the phone isn't too much of a problem,
but of it leaking to advertisers and others over the network, I have no doubt
that's happening. As to the two items you mention, passwords and contacts, the
first thing I would do if any phone with saved passwords, for wireless networks
or anything else, went missing is to change those passwords. I would do that
whether I did or didn't have a passcode on the phone, there would be no reason
to take the risk of those passwords getting out even if I had a passcode and
thought the passcode was secure. As to my travels, they're open to anyone who
wants them, any private travels would mean that I should leave my phone at
home. As to contacts, I keep them in my head, not on the phone.
        Finally, let me say that it's a pleasure to find someone who has
actually thought about these things, most people don't even think about what is
on their phone, they just apply the quickest security method and leave it
there.
Aman