I have had good success scanning bar codes.
It takes practice, and you have to have a good idea where the bar code is on
the package due to the limitations of the iPhone camera.
Yes, a hardware, dedicated, bar code scanner is going to be faster because of
the camera design, but it is also going to cost a heck of a lot.
Several people have mentioned on this list that when they go shopping, they
have the cashier, or helper put a piece of clear tape over the bar code so they
can more quickly find it with Digit-Eyes, and then you can get results almost
as fast as a hardware scanner.
Richard