Hi Michelle and Anthony,

First, pricy is a relative term, I don't think $40 to $60 is all that much
for a full-featured turn-by-turn GPS solution considering my Trekker Maestro
was $2,000 about 4 or so years ago and a Breeze is still $800 I think. On
top of that the maps as well as POI listings on it were horrible, maybe this
is much better now, but it sure wasn't then. As for buying map updates, you
only have to pay the $20 if you want quarterly map updates and that, by the
way, is $20 for a 2-year period. If you don't pay this you still get map
updates, but only once a year or so.

Secondly, if you go hiking or off-road Navigon is about as good as nothing
because it only has street maps. The only solution of any use for hiking is
something like MyWay Classic or the upcoming "BreadCrums" app from the
LookTel developers because these apps allow you to set your own points along
a trail and then give you directions as to how you navigate along these
points. BreadCrums, as far as I know, will not have all the maps like
Navigon so I am not sure if it will allow for putting in an address or
searching for a POI and then to have turn-by-turn directions. I think it's
more a competitor to MyWay Classic and will allow a person to enter in a
manual route and then follow that route.

I have heard nothing new about Sendero's full-featured turn-by-turn GPS app
which one would assume would bring Trekker like features to the iPhone.

In the meantime for me a combination of Navigon with Sendero LookAround or
Ariadne does very well.

Of course this may all change in what seems to be mid to late September when
the new iPhone is rumoured to be released and, of course, iOS 6 along with
it and Apple's new maps and built-in turn-by-turn directions. That rumour
about a September 12 announcement does seem to take on more substance and
there is talk about a September 21 release. This is according to Rob from
the Today in iOS podcast and a number of sources he mentioned. If it's true
we all know what's what in 5 weeks.