Hi Matthew,
I bought the iPod 6th Generation 128 GB primarily for my music and books
because my iPhone 5s was running out of room.
So I took the music off my iPhone.
Because I didn't want everything on the touch that was on the iPhone, I set it
up as a new device.
But, if you want everything the same, go ahead and backup your iPhone, then
restore that backup to your iPod Touch.
If you do an encrypted backup of your iPhone, when you restore it to the touch,
all your passwords should be included, so you won't have to resign-in to your
WiFi etc.
It is really up to you how to go about this.
HTH,
Richard