Thank you so much all for your replies. I tried it on a specific situation and failed miserably. I am trying to check voicemail on my other phone. It is a TMobile phone. The way it normally works is I enter the phone number of the other cell phone. Since it is switched off most of the time I hear the usual voice mail box sound "please leave your message etc." I enter star and then the system tells me to enter the voicemail password followed by the number key. Once I do it, I get in to the system where my voicemails for the other phone are saved.

What I tried to do was save the contact with my phone number. After entering my number I put semicolon followed by a star and another semi colon. then my password and the number key. I entered ; after each incident where the system wants a response from me.
The phone doesn't connect at all.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Chaltain" <chalt...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: iPhone and automated numeric response prompts

The comma just inserts a pause before the next set of touch tones are
sent, so the only rule of thumb is to use commas where you want this
pause and use as many as you need, depending on how long it takes before
the voice response systems starts expecting the new touch tones. The
semicolon will wait until you double tap before sending the next set of
touch tones, so this is good if you just don't know how long to wait
before you need to respond with the new set of touch tones.