Steven,

this has happened to me a few times.  I resolve this by copying the
number to the phone's pasteboard and then creating a contact from the
e-mail address.  Drop the phone number into the contact form, save the
contact and  you are in business. If you are not familiar with the
techniques of copying text in iOS with VoiceOver, it will be a new
skill to learn. This approach is not slick, simple and clean, but it
gets the job done.

Kelly