Hello,

Officially, Apple gives two ways for rebooting the iOS device.

1) Fully shut down and then restart the device. When the device is responsive,
this is the recommended procedure.

2) When the device is unresponsive, or option 1 does not fully clear out the
problem, press and hold the power button and the home button together for 10
seconds. This creates a safe forced reboot.

The problem with crashing the springboard by pressing the power button 5 times
in rapid succession is that there is a slight chance of corrupting something
which is actively being accessed in memory during this procedure and one of the
reasons Apple does not recommend using this method. It is the closest method to
pulling the power chord from the wall whilst your desktop computer is
physically accessing the hard drive. Any sectors which are actively being
accessed may be corrupted or wiped.

I have purposely caused an app to be corrupted by crashing the springboard
using the 5 presses of the power button whilst loading the app. It was then
necessary to delete and then download the app to get it working again. Of
course, you can always perform a complete upgrade to correct such potential
problems. I prefer to remain safe and not spend the few hours rebuilding my
iPhone would require.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288