Hi Kim. Yes, your IOS device can automatically download the update for you.
I've seen this happen on my iPhone in the past, and just last night I noticed
this on my fiance's iPhone. She got an alert saying that the update was
available, and when I checked it out, the option to install was there. You'll
probably notice this, too. I've never run into a case where the update is
automatically downloaded and installed, as sometimes happens on computers
running Windows. This is why you haven't noticed any changes yet. So go ahead
and install the update if you want to; installation shouldn't take that long
and should be relatively painless. You'll be told when the device is about to
reboot, and there will be a period when you have no speech, so let the device
do its thing and it should be back in running order shortly. Of course, it's
always a safe bet to plug the device into a.c. power before you get started,
but this bears repeating for the benefit of anyone on the list who hasn't done
an upgrade before.
Best regards,
Tom

Sent from my iPhone