The article's example of apps being in your App Switcher after you power off and power on your phone is also misleading. The iPhone could be going into suspend or hibernation mode when you power it off, so it's saving the state of each app, just as it does when the phone is running but an app isn't being used.

I agree with others that there could always be a rogue app that has a memory leak or doesn't always idle itself as much as it could, so there's definitely a reason to force close some apps. Also, as good as Apple's multi-tasking and memory management is, there are times when it makes sense to free up as much memory and processing power as possible, such as when upgrading or loading a particularly memory or processor intensive app. I don't think force closing apps has a negative impact other than taking some user time, so if you want to do it then go ahead. It's your time to spend any way you want.

When in the App ?Switcher, VoiceOver announces the state of each app as you flick between them. It'll be interesting to pay attention to see what those different states are. I haven't paid attention to them myself before.

On 10/21/2015 01:50 PM, Lisa Belville wrote:
Hmm, I've never heard of this Intelligent Multitasking.  perhaps I've
just never noticed, but what apps finish doing something and then
close?  Does this mean the app is then removed from the app switcher or
that if it is in there, it's not really running?

Lisa Belville
missktlab1...@frontier.com
A bus station is where the bus stops. A train station is where the train
stops.  On my desk I have a work station...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Otten" <motte...@gmail.com>
To: <viphone@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 11:36 AM
Subject: Stop force closing apps on your iPhone, it's not making it run
faster or last longer

this one may cause some commenting. I admit I do this closing apps
things a lot.
Mary
http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/10/21/stop-force-closing-apps-on-your-iphone-its-not-making-it-run-faster-or-last-longer

The following information is important for all members of the VIPhone
list.

or if you feel that a member's post is inappropriate, please contact
the owners or moderators directly rather than posting on the list itself.

Groups "VIPhone" group.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail