I have done a quick search on Google for deleting conversations but crucially
deleting individual messages in a conversation, and it would appear that it
should be possible.  I'm pasting a link to the article below.  I have no time
this morning to see whether it would work with voiceover but try on a thread
that's not important to you.

Delete Text Messages, iMessages, & Conversations from iPhone
<http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/18/delete-text-messages-iphone/>