Hello Traci, I think you are understanding it correctly.
It kind of says the same thing in the notification part in the watch app on
your phone.

I am like you, I wish we had more control over this, especially since we are
not able to change the alert sound or anything like that for notifications on
the watch.
I am thinking they will expand on notifications on the watch at some time, and
until then, I will make sure that I give Apple my feedback and request that
this feature be added.

Chris