From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2016 2:19 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Botvac discussion, how about other connected major appliances like
washers and dryers

Hi List,

The discussion about the Neato BotVac which can be controlled with an
apparently quite accessible app made me think again about other connected
appliances. I’be been hearing for at least the last 3 or 4 years how Samsung,
LG and other manufacturers are showing off connected appliances at CES in Las
Vegas, but very little seems to have made it to market. Yes, there are things
like the Instant Pot and maybe other small appliances which have apps and there
are now several other devices like connected thermostats and other home
automation devices which can be controlled with apps, but what about washers,
dryers, dishwashers and stoves/ovens. I am totally in the market to replace my
20-year old Maytech washer and dryer and I am prepared to pay more or less top
dollars for a really good front load washer, but while I did see an LG model
which connects to Wi-Fi and has an app, it seems controlling the washer with
said app is limited and apparently relies on NFC to some degree so the reviews
on the app store in Canada for the iOS app are basically “It doesn’t work”.

I really wonder what is so difficult, the technology for this is out there. I
just recently purchased a high-end Bosch dishwasher and didn’t realize that the
model I bought had touchscreen controls. I looked at a model just below the one
I bought (the 800 series) at the Sears store here and it had push buttons and I
decided to buy the 800 Plus model which was even quieter. The sales person told
me it had the same controls and I never checked until I had it totally unpacked
and half way connected. I decided to keep it since mostly my wife is starting
it and in the case of this model it would be possible to mark the spots where I
would have to touch with dots. One thing I definitely like is the fact that I
actually have to put my ear within a foot or two of the dishwasher to even hear
that it is running, it operates at 40 Db and it’s totally amazing.

I have been checking out appliances online since I live in a small town of
6,000 people and while there is a Sears here which has some stuff on display
and another store, mostly they don’t stock the top of the line models and
nobody here sells the high-end german brands like Miele. One Miele model
apparently is completely operated by a dial and push buttons, but most of the
high-end Samsung and LG models have a dial which I think isn’t even accessible
as it turns continuously and there is no arrow on it one can feel or mark and
as you turn it little lights light up showing you what cycle you have
selected.On the Bosch washing machine the dial does have a tactile line and one
could write down the list of cycles/programs (I think there are about a dozen
or 15) and then start at 12 o’clock and turn the dial clockwise or counter
clockwise and count the clicks. But all of the models I have seen so far have
touch controls as well and it seems some you have to push multiple times to get
to the setting you want.

Has anybody found anything that does work with an app or anything that talks or
is accessible in other ways? I know you would have to have bought something in
the last several months since models usually change each year so if there was
an accessible model 3 or 4 years ago chances are that model doesn’t exist any
more. At least they should make these things talk which probably wouldn’t be
very difficult given today’s technology.