Yes, people in the US can walk into an Apple store and purchased an
unlocked and unbranded cell phone, although all iPhones are pretty much
unbranded. In the US though, we get some pretty deep discounts on phone
prices if you lock yourself into a 2 year contract with a cell phone
provider.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail