Hello, Carol.

The Gmail app works specifically with Google accounts, and I can't see
a way to force it out of its comfort zone.  As to why someone would
want to use it, one might not need the power and data sharing
capabilities of Outlook.  One might want to keep Gmail activity very
separate from the activity on there accounts.  If for some reason a
user had to delete the Apple iOS mail account and had to start over,
and if one of the accounts under the app was a POP3, all messages
might be lost, including those on the Gmail account.  Perhaps the
interface is just pleasant to some.  There are some handy elements,
such as the "Empty Trash" button.  The text explaining the new
features of V. 5.0.13 claims that with one swipe, the entire Inbox of
a Gmail account can be cleaned out.  I haven't tested this feature
with VoiceOver.

Craig