From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:45 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Ordered unlocked iphone 5 from USA

Hi Ramy,

Right now nobody can buy any iPhone 5, this Friday stores will start to sell
iPhones in the US, but it will only be iPhones for those who activate them
on a US carrier (AT&T, Sprint and Verizon). The unlocked iPhone will not be
available in the US for several weeks, when exactly nobody knows. This was
the same last year when the iPhone 4S came out in mid October, you could not
buy an unlocked 4S until sometime in November. And before the list gets
cluttered with half a dozen messages questioning this, I actually called an
Apple store in New York to make sure I get this right and that is what I was
told. I am in Canada and while I am not buying the iPhone 5, last year I was
able to preorder and get my 4S on the release date and stores here do sell
them unlocked from day 1 and I believe the same is the case in most other
countries, I guess the carrier lobby in the States is too strong so they get
a few weeks where they can reel in those who don't want to wait even if they
are willing to buy the phone unlocked at full price. The Apple store
employee I spoke with said they don't know when the iPhone 5 will be
available unlocked, but he thinks it will be not for about 3 or 4 weeks, so
most likely it will be mid to late October.