Hello

I have a question regarding text messages that is somewhat complicated to
describe.  I hope I can explain this clearly.

I have an IPhone 7 still using 10.3 or whatever the last update was for IOS
10.  After reading all of these emails from this group, I am holding off
until IOS 11 is perfect. Anyway, my son was also using an IPhone and I had
him in my contact list with his mobile number listed as an IPhone.  Today,
he decided to go back to using a Samsung Gallexy.  He sent me a text message
as a test and asked me to respond.  I did and he did not receive the text.
I know that in my settings, I have IMessage turned on.  In order for him to
receive my text message, I have to turn it off before sending him a text.
However, it is a pain to have to keep remembering to turn it on and off when
sending texts.  My brother does not have a cell phone at all and uses an
IPad so I need it to have it turned on when sending him a text.

I tried to delete his contact card from my contact list and re-enter his
information.  It is still showing up as an IPhone.  I turned my phone off
completely and added the contact information again and it is still
remembering his phone number as an IPhone.

Meanwhile, he is trying to de-register his phone number from being an IPhone
number through Sprint.

So I guess the question is whether there is a way to make the iPhone forget
that his number used to be an IPhone?  It is strange but he was using a
Samsung prior to the IPhone.  When he went to using the IPhone, my phone
automatically detected that it was an IPhone and now it seems to not want to
forget it.

One other thing I tried was holding down the "send" button to see if I could
send it as a text instead of as an IMessage and it did not show it in the
options that popped up.  Only sending with effects appeared in the bubble.

My husband has the same phone as I do which is IPhone 7 and when he tried
turning off IMessage in his settings, none of my texts would go through to
his phone either.

Any thoughts on this would be so much appreciated.

Kathy Kalaluhi