I tried this. I played a song, locked the phone. waited about 15 seconds.
Then double tap of the home button. I swiped to the right, and there it is.
previous track, then swipe right again is pause.

-----Original Message-----
From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 1:26 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Playback Controls in Lock Screen

Hi Daniel,

It is apparently something that I would call "flaky" or maybe somewhat
broken. After I posted the message my iPhone was locked and nothing was
playing. I tried pressing home again twice and this time the controls came
up just fine. So, maybe you can try this. Start playing something and then
lock the phone or wait until it locks. Then with music or a book playing and
the screen locked press home twice and see if the controls come up. So far
every time something is playing they don't come up, but if nothing is
playing they do come up and I can double tap "Play and while the controls
are still up, they usually disappear after about 10 seconds or so, I can
pause and play again and all that. However, as soon as I tap Play and then
lock the phone so far every time the controls did not come up any more.