Hi Janet,

Hopefully you figure it out by now, I was amazed by how many messages and at
times conflicting instructions this simple question generated. A simple google
search for "How to power off an iPhone XR" provided the steps and many links
where same steps were explained, here an example from Tom's Guide:

How to Turn Off the iPhone XR, XS and XS Max
On the iPhone XS, iPhone XR and iPhone X, the old way of turning off your
iPhone has gone the way of the headphone jack. No longer do you press and hold
the side/power button to power down; that action is now reserved for summoning
Siri.
Here’s what you do instead when you want to turn off your iPhone:
1. Press and hold the side button and either volume button. Make sure you press
down long enough; pressing too short could result in a screen shot if you’re
using the Volume Up Button.
2. Swipe the power icon from the left to the right on your screen to turn off
your iPhone.

The only thing here to keep in mind is that a sighted person immediately sees
the power icon, a blind person may have to swipe to it and then double tap,
this is the same as on the Apple Watch.
Also, you may simply want to get used to using the volume down button and that
way you'll never run the risk of accidently taking a screenshot.