Holly, in settings on the X there is a setting in accessibility to be able to
just tap the screen. It will take you to your notifications and if I remember
correctly it will give you the time or you can swipe to it. Screen is still
locked however, and face ID is necessary to read any notifications. Please
someone correct me if I am incorrect where this option is.

Speaking of that screen when you tap the locked screen. I found a way to give
light to face ID on this screen as it has a difficult time with face ID in
darkness. If I turn on the flashlight in the lower left corner it will give
enough light to unlock the notification screen. When I hear it unlock I turn
off the flashlight again and swipe from the bottom of the screen to go to the
home screen.

Reggie and Lex
God said, "I need somebody strong enough to pull sleds and find bombs, yet
gentle enough to love babies and lead the blind. Somebody who will spend all
day on a couch with a resting head and supportive eyes to lift the spirits of a
broken heart." So God made a dog.