Hi Lou,

I find this very interesting, partly because I've wanted something
like this for a while and partly because I'm making something that
does the exact same thing, although my solution would need much more
technical knowhow than the average user has in its current form.

I think the best root for you to take is to make a device that is able
to learn IR codes from any device that a user already has; this way
you're not limiting yourself to any particular device like a virgin
media box or a sky box. I've spent the past 2 or so years searching
for a Freeview box that is controllable over WIFI or has firmware that
is open enough that I can just write the functionality myself, but
apart from one very old PVR from topfield which has some community
based firmware modifications, there wasn't really anything that came
close to providing what I (And I think you) also want. Even if you did
manage to get one model working, there are so many different Freeview
boxes around in the UK that the chances are that potential customers
wouldn't have one of the boxes that your system works with.
A few months ago, a company called Tvonics came out with some talking
Freeview recorders in partnership with the RNIB. Unfortunately, just
over a month later, Tvonics went into administration and as far as I
know everyone at Tvonics was left unemployed. Because of this, it's
very unlikely that you will be able to control these boxes without
some form of device that sits in-between the box and an iPhone because
the team that writes the firmware for them simply doesn't exist
anymore. I mention this company because if you are working with the
RNIB, it would at least to me look quite strange if a RNIB approved
device such as yours was unable to work with the only widely used
accessible Freeview recorder on the market which was also created in
conjunction with the RNIB.

The EPG information is an interesting problem although when I started
developing my solution I thought it would be fairly easy to solve. Out
of interest, where are you getting the EPG data from? I am aware of
the radio times listings for Freeview that are available in XML, but
if EPG data for *every* Freeview channel is downloaded, this amounts
to hundreds of MB's of data that need to be searched when a user is
looking for a program for example. In my experience, this doesn't
happen quickly enough on commodity hardware for it to be a nice enough
experience for the end user. I'm toying with the idea of offloading
this functionality to a server which would store the listings using
MYSQL and then allow access to it through an API although I currently
don't have time to develop this.
One thing that I found out that you might not know (Apologies if you
do) is that not every Freeview box will have the same numbers for each
channel - E.G. channel 4 +1 will not always be number 13 on every box.
This makes it quite hard to create a program guide that changes the
channel, since for it to work correctly, the user needs to manually
specify the number that each channel uses on their own box.

Lastly, I'll end with a big question: Why are you targeting this at
blind people? There are lots of people who have multiple remotes that
want something like this; even people who have a universal remote such
as a Harmony will surely like the idea of being able to control their
devices from an iDevice; partly because you're getting rid of the
range problems associated with IR and replacing them with packets sent
over WIFI which obviously has a much longer range.
There are a few devices that already do this but it's very hard to
find them in the UK plus none of them are overly good value; how about
you make an amazing solution targeted towards the technical consumer
that just so happens to be accessible with voiceover?

I'd be really interested to speak with you off list about this; my
email address is replacewithfirstn...@benmr.com. Regardless of what
you do and how you do it, good luck!!

Ben.