Hi all,

I was perusing a forum the other day and came across some strange
reports from people who own unlocked iPhones on iOS 6. The reports
claim that users are being presented with the activation screen upon
swapping in a SIM, and are requested to connect to the internet to
activate. Of course, this never used to be the case: once a phone is
unlocked, you are meant to be able to swap SIMS at your leisure
without ever having to reactivate. It wouldn't be ideal to have to
reactivate every new SIM, because you'd obviously have to have a data
connection to do the activation. When traveling this could be tricky.
The reports claim that this is a new measure in iOS 6 to curb
unauthorized unlocks.

The bizarre thing is that I've read an equal number of reports
claiming that this absolutely isn't the case and that users are not
being presented with the activation screen. I've also read theories
that this might differ between iPhones sold unlocked directly through
Apple, and carrier-unlocked phones; though I don't really see why this
should be the case.

Personally, I don't own an unlocked iPhone at the moment but am sure
that my upcoming iPhone 5 will be unlocked. I would therefore like to
ask what people's experiences are with unlocked iPhones, swapping SIMS
in iOS 6.

Grant