Hi Robert,

I just send a reply to Apple Accessibility about Voiceover volume during a
call. I reported this to them and they replied with some suggestions, but
they only consisted of the explanation about how to make sure speakerphone
mode is properly activated which means they thought somehow the phone hadn't
switched to speakerphone and this is why I couldn't hear Voiceover. I have
no problem with my phone switching to speakerphone when I take it away from
my ear. I am not sure if you have your phone in a case, but make sure you
try it without case as sometimes a case can cover the proximity sensor and
that is what causes your phone to switch to speakerphone. I usually do this:

I dial the number I want to call and after I double tap on call I put my
hand over the top part of the phone where the slot is in the glass for the
earpiece. Once the phone on the other end starts ringing I remove my hand
and now the proximity sensor should of course notice nothing is covering it
and switch to speakerphone.

However, I still have the volume issue. I have volume in my rotor settings
and after a call connects I can turn up VO volume to 100% by turning the
rotor to Volume and then flicking up until I get to 100%. Then I turn down
the call volume to as low as it will go with the volume down button, but
first of all the call volume does not seem to go lower than a certain level
and Voiceover even at 100% can hardly be heard over the call volume.

You can of course work around this by using a headset, but I definitely
suggest you write to Apple Accessibility and report this because it seems to
be one of those bugs which most iPhone 5 users and some iPhone 4S and 4
users also don't seem to have.

I did a factory reset about 3 days after I updated to iOS 6 because of a few
other issues and at first this seemed to be better, but after I tried to
place calls where I had to enter numbers, listen to menus etc. a few times I
find it really isn't much better if at all. As far as I am concerned this is
one of the more inconvenient and serious bugs because one has to enter
numbers or listen to menus so often and of course I also can't put the phone
in speakerphone and look up other information during a call such as maybe a
phone number, something in an email or another app.

It would be interesting to know how many people experience this problem and
while it adds to list traffic, the traffic is down significantly from what
it was so maybe everybody who reads this could test this and post whether
they can hear Voiceover comfortably during a call when the phone is on
speakerphone or not. Before the iOS 6 update this was no problem for me on
my 4S.