No your not correct.  See this
In order to mitigate theft and other fraudulent activity, newly purchased
devices are “locked” to work exclusively on the Verizon network.  We have
separate device unlocking policies that cover postpay and prepaid devices, as
well as special rules for deployed military personnel.

“Unlocking” a device refers only to disabling software that would prevent a
consumer from attempting to activate a device designed for one carrier’s
network on another carrier’s network. Due to differing technologies, an
unlocked Verizon Wireless device may not work – or may experience limited
functionality – on another carrier’s network.

Postpay Device Unlocking Policy
Devices that you purchase from Verizon are locked for 60 days after purchase.
Devices that you purchase from our retail partners are locked for 60 days after
activation.  After 60 days, we will automatically remove the lock. Following
the 60 day lock period, we do not lock our phones at any time.

Prepaid Device Unlocking Policy
Devices that you purchase from Verizon and certain devices purchased from our
retail partners are locked for 60 days after activation. After 60 days, we will
automatically remove the lock. Following the 60 day lock period following
device purchase, we do not lock our phones at any time.
link below.
https://www.verizon.com/about/consumer-safety/device-unlocking-policy