As far as I know, the only way we know the phone is on is when VoiceOver says,
"VoiceOver on."

This is when the phone is not plugged in to the charger or the computer.  If
the phone is plugged in, you will hear the familiar chimey kind of sound that
indicates the phone is now back on.  The sound is the same one that you hear
when the phone is already on and you plug it in.

Hope this helps!

Marcy