From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of ShamelessFanGirl
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:14 AM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: iTunes Match - To use it or not to use it, that is the question

Good evening/very early morning all,

Having recently signed up for this service myself, I can tell you firsthand
what motivated me to go for iTunes Match, after doing a goodly bit of
fence-riding for the last year while trying to make up my mind. I have a
library of just under 15000 songs, and found myself wanting that collection
at my fingertips at all times, rather than needing to access it from my
computer only. True enough I have a 64 GB phone, but do a lot of audiobooks,
thus, space is a problem, and iTunes Match provided me a way of having the
best of both worlds. It's doubly convenient, because you have the option to
download your tracks from the cloud, if you know you'll be without net
access, so again, provides the best of both the streaming, and physical
media worlds.

To the original poster: I'm in agreement with what everyone else has said
here, in that I don't think you'd get much out of the service for the
reasons already outlined.Unlike yours truly, it sounds as if you manage the
space on your phone wisely. :D

Have fun all, and as always, take care.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2012, at 10:47 PM, "Raul A. Gallegos" <r...@raulgallegos.com>
wrote:

> Hi, while I like the idea of iTunes Match, it's not for me. However if
others use it, friends, family, etc, I support them. My reasons for not
using it is because I get the same functionality from AudioGalaxy. Yes, I
probably avoid the 256 encoding it offers, but that's not important to me.
With AudioGalaxy I have access to all of my music and I'm not limited to the
25 thousand songs that you would be with iTunes Match. If I want to hear
music I don't have in my own collection then I can use Pandora or Songza as
alternatives. If I'm traveling and won't have access to the cloud, then I
can easily keep around 5 or 10 gb of music on my phone, not using iTunes
Match, and have access to local songs that way. So, for me it's just not
worth it.

> --
> Raul A. Gallegos
> Home Page: http://raulgallegos.com
> Twitter: https://twitter.com/rau47
> Facebook: http://facebook.com/rau47
>
> On 10/19/2012 1:23 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> I am normally among the first to adopt new technology and features,
>> but I am still on the fence with respect to iTunes Match. I have
>> approx. 280 CD's and a bit of other music which I mostly purchased
>> from iTunes, a total of just under 3,800 songs. I ripped all my CD's
>> using the FLAC lossless format and I keep these files on a network drive
so I can access it with my Sonos system.
>> I chose to use the lossless system because storage space is cheap and
>> not an issue, my entire collection takes up about 100 Gig. I then
>> used the batch conversion feature of DB Power Amp to convert
>> everything from the lossless format to M4A at 256 Kbps and I have
>> that in my iTunes Media Folder on my laptop for syncing to my iPhone.
>> At 256 Kbps my lossless collection shrunk to about 23 or so Gb which
>> easily fit on my 64 Gig iPhone 4S with lots of room to spare for apps,
audio books and the occasional photos and videos.

>> My question is whether I'd actually get anything out of using iTunes
Match.
>> If I do turn it on and my iTunes library is matched and what is not
>> is uploaded, will I then manually have to download it to the phone
>> again? I do like a local copy of everything on the phone because I
>> can't stream if, for example, I am on a plane or on holidays in a
>> country where maybe I don't have data and in any case, I use very
>> little data hence have only a very small data plan. I assume I can
>> download all my music again to my phone and maybe the one advantage I
>> can see is that if I ever had to reset my phone or got a new phone my
>> music would be downloaded from the cloud and I wouldn't have to
>> connect to my laptop. Of course it takes a lot longer as well to download
25 Gig from the cloud than to sync it via iTunes.