I have the TV Guide app.  I believe the notification you are receiving, is
notifying you of changes in the updated version of the app.  That is, the
update has already occurred, not, that the update is pending.

If you wish to prevent apps from updating automatically, go to: Settings >
AppStore, swipe to App Update, and turn this feature off.

- Brad -