From: viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Sieghard
Weitzel
Sent: Monday, 20 September 2021 6:10 am
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: A Question About Apple Fitness Plus for VoiceOver Users

And I want to drive a car, ride a bike and go downhill skiing.
Actually I have done all three, but with sighted assistance. Well, I lost my
sight a bit later in live so I knew how to drive and my Dad would let me drive
on non-public roads after I lost my sight just for the fun of it, now after
more than 30 years without sight I actually don't see the point in it any more.
As for riding a bike that of course is easy with a tandem bike and I downhill
ski with a guide and communicating either with a radio headset like the ones
they make for people who ride motorbikes and want to be able to chat, now of
course it's even easier as long as the ski hill has cell coverage because we
can wear a headset and I can just call my guide on the phone.
The point is that I can't do either of these fitness activities independently
and while I don't disagree that maybe there is room for improvement with
virtual fitness classes/workouts, it maybe be very possible to participate
quite effectively if for the first few times you have sighted help who first
describes to you what exactly you have to do. I have sometimes gone to one of
these high energy workout classes at a local marshall arts Dojo and while of
course I had to do some of the stuff with another person, anything that was
done stationary like lunges, push-ups, sit-ups, squats etc. is easy as long as
the instructor calls it out and you know how to do the move. However, there
really is no way to fully describe the move in a fast-paced workout because it
would take way too long so you have to know this before. Here is just one
example from a website which describes how to do proper squats and even if you
disregard the first part where a bit of background is given, just the actual
seps would take quite long to explain and for a blind person who can't watch
somebody else perform the move perfectly whether in person or on a video it may
be even more difficult:

If you ever watch toddlers move, you’ll notice that they execute
picture-perfect squats time and again. But when you’re well into adulthood, how
to do squats becomes a little more of a loaded question: Are your feet in the
right position? Are you getting down far enough? Should you add weight?
While there’s a lot to unpack with how to do a proper squat, the benefits of
learning how to squat correctly are immense—squat variations not only help you
get stronger during your workouts, but they also represent a movement pattern
that you use during everyday life.
“In life, we squat all the time, from playing with our children to going to the
bathroom to sitting on a chair, ” Noam Tamir, C.S.C.S., founder and CEO of TS
Fitness in New York City, tells SELF. “It’s very much a functional movement.”
When you learn how to do squats correctly, you can really make the most out of
the move—and your workout. Here’s what you need to know.

What muscles do squats work, and what are the benefits of squats?
Throughout the move, your core muscles fire in order to keep you steady. “Your
abdominals are stabilizers,” he says. “So they assist in weight-bearing
movements.” Strong core muscles are important because not only do they help you
with your lifts, but they also reduce the risk of lower back pain. If you do a
weighted squat—whether using a dumbbell in a goblet squat, two dumbbells in a
front squat, or a barbell in either a back or front squat—you’re also working
your upper body. That’s because the move requires an isometric holding of
weight, a static muscle contraction without any movement, Tamir says.
Weighted squats, like other forms of load-bearing physical activity, also
benefit your bones: They help you build stronger bones, he says, which can help
prevent osteopenia or osteoporosis as you get older. Plus, since a proper squat
requires mobility in your hips and ankles, you can also consider squatting a
mobility exercise that can help you move better, Tamir says.

Everything you need to know about how to do squats Before you start adding
weight, you want to get the squat motion down with bodyweight squats first.
Form is key, since performing squats properly can cut down the risk of injury
during the move. Here’s what you need to know about doing squats correctly, and
how you can avoid some common squatting mistakes.

1. Assume the squat stance.
Before you squat, you should get in proper squat position: Keep your feet about
shoulder-width apart, Tamir says. There’s no set rule for exact positioning of
your feet—it’ll vary depending upon anatomical differences—but a good guideline
is for them to turn out anywhere between 5 and 30 degrees. So rather than
pointing straight ahead, your feet will turn out slightly, but how much they do
will depend on your particular comfort level and mobility.

2. Screw your feet into the floor.
Dialing your feet into the ground helps engage your muscles, improve alignment,
and create stability with the ground, says Tamir. It’ll also help keep your
arches from collapsing, which can make your knees more likely to cave inward
when you squat. (This is what’s known as knee valgus.)

3. Keep your chest up.
Your upper body also matters for squats. “Keep your chest up, your chest
proud,” says Tamir. This will prevent your shoulders and upper back from
rounding—a common mistake—which could overstress your spine, especially if you
are squatting with weight on your back.

4. Initiate the movement.
When you’re ready to squat, think about starting the movement by bending your
knees and pushing your hips back, says Tamir. Engage your core for the descent,
and keep it braced throughout the move. “Make sure you’re controlling the
eccentric part of the movement,” he says. Rather than rushing through the
downward motion, take a couple of seconds to lower yourself. This will increase
time under tension for your muscles, which will make them work harder. (Slowing
down the eccentric is also a great strategy to make the move feel harder if
you’re working out at home and don’t have access to the weights you’re used
to.) Inhale while you lower, and as you squat down, your knees should track
laterally above your first or second toe, Tamir says. Tracking too far in can
also make your knees collapse inward, and tracking too far out can put extra
stress on them. (Don’t worry so much about the old rule that your knees should
never extend forward farther than your toes, Tamir says. Knees extending
farther than your toes can happen due to anatomical differences in your bone
length. Trying to restrict that movement can actually make you lean forward
more, which can stress your lower back, according to a study in the Journal of
Strength and Conditioning Research.)

5. Pause when you reach parallel.
As for when you should stop the move? There’s lots of discussion about how low
you should squat, but the average exerciser should shoot to hit parallel depth
with their squats, says Tamir.
“That means the back of your thighs will be parallel to the floor,” he says.
Some people have difficulty getting to parallel because of lack of mobility or
injury—and if that’s the case, it’s better to end the squat at whatever depth
is pain-free for you—but sometimes people default to quarter-squats because
they’re using too much weight, says Tamir. If that’s the case, easing off the
weight and performing the full range of motion for the move is optimal. Once
you reach the bottom of the squat, pause for a second so you are not using
momentum to push yourself back up. (You can also increase the length of your
pause to add difficulty to the move.)

6. When you stand, drive through your heels.
Make sure your feet stay planted throughout the duration of the squat, paying
particular attention to driving through your heels on the way back up, says
Tamir. This will fire up your posterior chain—the muscles in the back of your
body, like your hamstrings and glutes.
Some people have a tendency to pick up their toes when they’re focusing on
driving through their heels, but you really want to make sure your entire foot
stays firmly on the ground: “Your big toe is actually really important in glute
activation,” he says.
You should also exhale on your way back up, says Tamir. Making sure you breathe
throughout the move—inhale on the way down, exhale on the way up—is vital. You
definitely do not want to be holding your breath.

7. Finish strong.
At the top of the squat, try to tuck your pelvis into a neutral position.
“Think of it like bringing your belt buckle to your chin,” says Tamir. Just be
careful that you are not hyperextending: A common mistake Tamir sees often is
people pushing their hips too far forward, which can actually make you lean
backward and stress your lower back.

What’s the best way to progress with squats?
Before you start loading your squat, you should definitely get the bodyweight
move down, says Tamir. (If you’re having difficulty with the movement, you can
hold on to a wall or, if you have access to it, a suspension trainer like a
TRX, to get more comfortable with what it should feel like.) -----Original
Message-----