Richard,

I have just tried and it works. For speed it may not be obvious as it will
just repeat the sentence at a bit higher or slower speed but with two or
three swipes the difference will be quite noticeable.

Voice Dream Reader has a similar VoiceOver adjustable gesture for speed (I
think that it is over their button that should be titled “Speech”). Can you
perform such a gesture there?