I just played with this a little and I learned something.

If I am using the phone speaker, then it does the haptic vibrations instead of the sound when pressing the button for Siri.  But if I am wearing my Airpods, then I do hear the sound.

So the sound is still there, but it is turned off for some reason when using the phone speaker.

I do think Siri just has hiccups from time to time.  I experienced this no matter what version of iOS I was running.

For best results, wait 2 to 3 seconds after pressing the side button before issuing the command.

I just asked Siri to open 5 or 6 different apps back to back, and she did them all perfectly.  And one of those was mail, of which I opened multiple times.

One tip:
You can train Siri to listen and understand you better.
Go to Settings, Siri and Search.
Even though I previously had this set to on, when updating to iOS 17.1, it turned off the listen for Siri.
Just tap on Siri, hey siri, or both siri and hey siri to turn it on and do the practice speaking.
After hitting the continue button, it will give you 5 short siri commands.  It will read the command to you, then you are to repeat them.  Once done, you are all set.

Hope this helps.

Chris Chaffin