You suggest none of us give them a dime, I suggest everybody does what they
feel is best for them and let's stop bad mouthing them because you don't agree
with their business decision which is entirely theirs to make. This is getting
old and it's a repeat of the same issue when some app developer who started out
with a free app realized they had to charge something since free wasn't paying
their bills. It's one thing for a company like Microsoft to offer Seeing AI for
free, it's another thing for an app developer or maybe a small group of
developers who joined together and want to make a living from what they do to
offer their work for free. I remember the outrage when years ago the Flexy
keyboard became a paid app and there are other examples, there are also some
examples where an app was a paid app at first and then it became a free app and
of course people who initially paid a few bucks were then mad because they
could now get it for free. The important lesson is that none of these apps are
around any more and if people want quality apps which they use daily to
continue and to not just get a few bug fixes but also new features, then they
have to pay something for them. How often has this come over the years
regarding Jaws and their SMA cost every two years or more recently the annual
subscription model. Strangely nobody complains about the monthly or annual
subscription costs of Netflix, Disney Plus, Apple TV, Apple Music, Spotify and
on and on. From what I read the new owner of Voice Dream Reader has released
updates with new features, voices are now included, OneDrive support was added
and they say there are plans to add Kindle support which I think for many would
be a very big deal and just because they maybe haven't joined every iPhone list
where they engage directly with our community does not mean they are a " crappy
corporation" who only cares about money. I own a retail store and it's an
incorporated business and I definitely care about making money because that is
my job, but that does not mean I don't care about my customers and providing
them with good service and about my community where I donate thousands of
Dollars each year to all sorts of organisations, events and fund raisers. The
vague statement about the "crappy corporation and money is all they care
about." Indicates that you probably don't know anything at all about the
individuals behind the company and why they decided to buy Voice Dream Reader,
yes, I say buy because while I also don't know for sure, I am pretty certain
Winston Chen didn't just give it to them after years of work because he is such
a nice guy. I also read another post where it was stated the developer doesn't
care or engage with our community. Let's not forget that this is not strictly
an app for the blind, but it's also for people with dyslexia and just regular
sighted people who want an app which can read books, PDF's, web articles etc.
It says in the app description that it is " Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille
and switch control" and has " High contrast and large font size for low vision
readers.", but that is only part of its many features.
Just move on, buy the subscription and enjoy the app if you want to don't and
shut up if you don't; anything else people say about has been said already.

Best regards,