Hi Group,

Thanks for the clarification.  I have been under a misconception for a few years now. I guess you learn something new every day in the world of technology.

On 6/27/2024 9:32 AM, Barbara Stahl wrote:
Great job on the explanation I particularly like the analogy to the lockpicks that was great

On Jun 27, 2024, at 1:32 AM, Sieghard Weitzel <siegh...@live.ca> wrote:

Ron, you are talking about Apples and Oranges here, non pun intended, but using biometric authentication like Touch Id or Face Id has nothing to do with 2-Factor authentication.

In any case, you cannot set up Touch Id or Face Id without also setting up a 6-digit PIN. I say 6-digit because that is the default on the iPhone, you can still do a 4-digit PIN, but it's not immediately apparent how to do it since Apple wants you to have the higher security of a 6 digit PIN.

Not using Touch Id or Face Id depending on which device you have is a little bit like using a set of lockpick tools to unlock your front door instead of simply using your key. It is very quick, for me at least it is highly reliable and for the occasional time when for some reason it does not unlock via Face Id, I just use the PIN.

2-Factor authentication is an entirely different security measure as it requires you to authenticate your sign-in with a second method in addition to entering your password. For example, if I want to log into my bank's online system, I go to their website and enter my user name and my password, but now instead of getting logged in, another screen comes up which tells me that a notification was sent to my mobile device and I now first have to unlock my iPhone, then I double tap on the notification and I am then presented with my bank's app which asks me to confirm that I am trying to sign in. Only when I tap on "allow" will the sign in process on the website  complete.

*Other websites or services employ different methods of 2-factor authentication, if I sign into Dropbox online I am asked to enter a code which I have to get from my authenticator app where I have setup Dropbox like that, yet other sites may send a code via text message or email.*

**

*From:*viphone@googlegroups.com <viphone@googlegroups.com> *On Behalf Of *Ron Canazzi
*Sent:* Tuesday, June 25, 2024 9:55 PM
*To:* viphone@googlegroups.com
*Subject:* Re: Any Reason to Not Use Two Factor Authentication on iPhone and iPad

Hi Group,

I always worry about any type of picture/fingerprint/alternative method of authentication. I worry that my fingers might have gotten dirty or sticky or callused or that I wouldn't be able to position my iPhone properly for the AI within the authentication process to properly identify my 'ugly' face.
That is why I try avoiding two factor authentication.