Hi Cliphton,

You don't have to move all Media into the iTunes Media folder and you don't
have to change the location of your iTunes library in iTunes settings,
either.

You can simply add Media stored on an external drive to  your iTunes library
by adding the folder where the media is stored. For example, I have about 25
Gb of music which I keep on my laptop and in the iTunes Media folder on my
main hard drive. But since my main drive is a solid state drive which is
only 120 Gb, I don't keep my movies on it. I have them on a D-Link network
attached storage device. In order to have them in my iTunes library I just
go into iTunes and then in the File menu I go to "Add Folder to Library". I
browse to the folder on my external drive and select it. This adds all the
movies and TV series I have in there to the appropriate library and I can
play them on my laptop or, via Home Sharing, on my Apple TV. The only
disadvantage is that I don't have access to these files when I am away and
not connected to my home network, but since I typically don't watch movies
when I am not at home that is not a big deal. You could of course use
something like a Western Digital external USB 3.0 hard drive which you can
get in up to 3 TB and they even have the My Passport series which are USB
powered and are very portable.

I prefer just pointing to various folders on external drives because this
way the actual location of my iTunes library doesn't change and I can keep
some media and stuff like apps and ringtones on the laptop and just put the
larger media files on an external drive.