Hi, John.
If I may ask, what readers have you used? I am a bit surprised to hear what you
say below, as I understood that Mobi and Epub were entirely different
containers, though both use HTML/XHTML for their text. Epub is a zip file,
basically, while Mobi is a .PRC Palm Pilot file. However that may be, I would
be overjoyed if simple renaming would work, it would save tons of headaches,
particularly on mobile platforms like the iDevices. Unfortunately, I cannot
seem to get this to work on any of the three readers I have here. With Ibooks,
Blio, and Nook, the reader simply refuses to load the renamed file. It's as if
the file isn't there. There is no error, but the file, when I attempt to load
it, simply disappears and is not visible in the list of books in either
application. When using the file with Epub readers on the PC, particularly
Kurzweil 1000 and Digital Editions, the file is not opened and I do get an
error saying that the file is not in the correct format.
If you would let us know which reader can do this, particularly if it's for
mobile, it would be appreciated.
Aman