Hello, Kawal and all.
Kawal is perfectly correct below, except that, in my experience, one need not
be at the top of any text to be selected for the select all command to work.
Rather, one  can be anywhere in the text to be selected when issuing the select
all command, and that text will be selected.
It may also be worth noting that x with space, (dots 1346 with space), will cut
the text to the clipboard, and that  backspace will delete the selection
without cutting it.
HTH.