I changed my Gmail settings to have my deleted messages placed in the
Trash folder. It's been years since I've done this, but I don't recall
it being too difficult. After 60 days (although I'm not sure about the
time frame here) those messages are deleted. I like this actually, since
there have been a few occasions when I've had to go back and grab a
message I deleted not to long ago. You get over 7G of storage with Gmail
so I am not hesitant to use it.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail