Messages in the trash folder will be deleted after 60 days (I think
that's the current time frame.). I just delete the messages from my in
box, they automatically go to my trash folder and then I don't worry
about them, knowing they'll be deleted in about two months. We have like
8G of storage on Gmail and the messages don't get downloaded and stored
to your phone, so I don't worry about running out of space. I know this
doesn't answer your question, but I wasn't sure if you knew how Gmail
handled trashed items, and I thought knowing how someone else worked
with Gmail might help.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail